What is Gunstoppers?
Alamance County Wide Crimestoppers announced in the launch of Gunstoppers in July 2018. A large majority of our violent crimes include firearms, and many of those firearms are illegal. We want to get these weapons off the streets!
What is our goal?
The goal of this program is to reduce violent crime involving firearms in Alamance County by encouraging people to report illegal firearms.
How Does It Work?
Like the Crimestoppers program, tips to Gunstoppers are completely anonymous! Gunstoppers will pay a minimum of $200 cash as a reward to anyone who notifies Crimestoppers if that tips leads to an arrest or confiscation of an illegal firearm. by any law enforcement agency in Alamance County. Tipsters who provide information on illegal weapons are still eligible for Crimestoppers regards if additional illegal activity is discovered as a result of the gun tip.
What is an Illegal Gun?
To be an illegal weapon, the firearm must either be possessed illegally or be illegal on its own. A weapon is possessed illegally if it is in the control of a person who cannot lawfully have a firearm.
- Person(s) are prohibited from possessing a firearm by the court as part of a domestic violence order
- Fugitives from justice
- Parolees @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Sawed-off rifles or shotguns
- Automatic weapons
- Machine guns
- Those with illegal silencers
- Any firearm altered from its original manufactured state
- Any stolen weapons @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
We all benefit. Gunstoppers helps get illegal guns off the streets and out of the hands of criminals!
How to report:
Citizens are encouraged to contact Crimestoppers/ Gunstoppers with any information and can submit tips by calling (336) 229-7100. Each informant is given a code number so that anonymity is assured. If the information reported leads to the arrest and/or confiscation of an illegal gun, Gunstoppers will pay a minimum of $200 in cash as a reward.
- Using your phone (either home or cell), dial (336) 229-7100
- When your call is answered, state what you are calling about and give what information you have
- DO NOT GIVE YOUR NAME @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Your information will be assigned a tip number (TIP #)
- DO NOT give this number to anyone
- The Crimestoppers board will review the tip
- If a tip is rewarded, a check will be issued in the name of the tip numver
- Call/ text the tip line after the second Monday to see if the tip was rewarded
- Pick up your reward at a local bank @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>